Residents in the Taylor County town of Lenox celebrated the opening of their new post office building the week of May 27, 1963. Construction started the previous september by owner and contractor Clarence Hoesing of Hartington, Nebraska. The 50×74 feet structure featured a brick exterior, private parking lot, and drive-through mail drop box. The article in the Lenox Time Table highlighted aspects of the interior, including vinyl flooring, modern baseboard heating, air conditioning, and green walls.
On May 31, 1872, Thomas King sent a request for mail to be delivered to a stop between the Taylor County hamlet of Platteville and Ringgold County town of Redding.The proposed office was to be called Mormontown, with mail delivered three times weekly to serve the village of sixty and surrounding rural area totaling 300 residents. The request was quickly approved, and King served as the town’s first postmaster starting on June 12, 1872.
The post office remained Mormontown for the next 15 years before the present name of Bloctkon was adopted on September 8, 1887. The longest-tenured postmaster was Jack Campbell, who had the post from August 5, 1949 until June 30, 1972. Details from the book Blockton, Iowa 1889-1989:
Campbell fondly recalls the days of large volumes of parcel post mail. He once searched through the parcel post bags, which came in the evening for next-day delivery, for a family’s new clothes. They had plans to leave for vacation at midnight and needed the items. Campbell spent the evening sorting the parcels so they might pick up the apparel in time for their planned departure.
The post office has been located in its current building since 1964.
The post office in the Taylor county seat of Bedford was originally established as Grove on June 30, 1855, with Adam Vinnedge named postmaster. The name Bedford was officially adoopted on June 24, 1856. Rural delivery service was established in 1901, while city delivery began in 1927. Service began in the current post office building on Labor Day 1964. In March 1965, the six-month-old facility was broken into and robbed of over $11,000 in stamps and cash. The thieves were later caught in Kansas City.
The first Methodist church was constructed in the Taylor County town of Sharpsburg in 1886. It served members for 14 years before the church building fell victim to a tornado in September 1900. The church was rebuilt within the same year, remodeled in 1918, and still used today. The church shares a pastor with Methodist churches in the nearby towns of Lenox and Clearfield.
Between 1927 and 1941, the Taylor County town of Sharspburg was one of five in the area to participate in a Home Talent Chautaqua Circuit. The arrangement created annual five-night chautauqua events, with one town presenting a program each night. The Sharpsburg chautauqua was sponsored by the local Women’s Christian Temperance Union group, and event profits were used for community improvements.
While the chautauqua circuit was discontinued in 1941, accumulated income was invested so the WCTU could continue to enhance the Sharpsburg community. In April 1967, the group voted to use the funds for a city park. They purchased 4 lots of land to present as a gift to the city and its residents. The park was equipped with picnic tables, swings, slides, and the pictured storage shed.
Sharpsburg dedicated the new park on July 28, 1967. Business firms joined the WCTU in sponsoring the celebration, which included a tractor pulling contest at 9 a.m., kid races and bicycle races at 1 p.m., and a free barbecue in the evening. Pony rides were also available, while lunch was served by local churches.