This modest red-and-white welcome sign sits along the Lincoln Highway in the Tama County town of Montour. Established as Orford in 1863, the name was changed to Montour a decade later. The name Montour either came from a city in New York or county in Pennsylvania. Both originate from the Montours, a French-Indian family who were known as being very helpful to early European settlers.
The Clayton County town of Luana was established in December 1867 by William Scott. He named the town for his wife Luana. Now home to 267 residents, the town was officially incorporated in 1911. Luana students are part of the MFL MarMac district, along with nearby communities of Monona, Farmersburg, Marquette and McGregor.
The Monona County town of Soldier was established by the Western Town Lot Company in 1899, nearly thirty years after postal service was first established at the site. The name comes from the nearby Soldier River, which received its name because of an anonymous U.S. soldier buried in the area. The town was formally incorporated in 1901.
The Bremer County town of Fredericksburg was founded in 1856, named for its first settler, Frederick Patton. The town, which is home to 931 residents, was formally incorporated in 1894. As the self-proclaimed dairy capital of the state, Fredericksburg holds its annual Dairy Days event each June.
The Mitchell County town of St. Ansgar was established in 1854 by the Reverend Claus Clauson. The town name was chosen in honor of a French monk, who was a ninth-century missionary to bring Christianity to Scandinavian countries. The town’s slogan, the Garden Spot of Iowa, represents the community trees and gardens surrounded by country farmland. The town was officially incorporated in 1876.