This clever town welcome sign sits on the south side of Main Street in the Taylor County community of Gravity, Iowa. Founded in 1881, Gravity is the only town in the United States with its name, which stems from a nearby landmark at the time, the “Old Gravity Post Office.” Gravity’s population peaked in 1940 at 514; the town is currently home to 218 residents.
Read an early account of Gravity’s history from the Taylor County Genealogical Society.
Located in the southeastern corner of Grundy County, Iowa, the community of Beaman is home to 210 residents. As noted on the welcome sign, visitors aren’t “dreamin'” when they travel through the quaint town of Beaman, which features a number of businesses and community facilities, including a library, heritage center, and large memorial hall. Local students attend elementary and high school in nearby Conrad and middle school in Union. Beaman is part of the BCLUW School District along with the communities of Conrad, Liscomb, Union and Whitten.
This humble sign stands at the edge of Dolliver, one of six incorporated cities in Emmet County in Northern Iowa. Founded along the railroad line in 1900 and named for U.S. Senator Jonathan Dolliver, this small (but friendly) community is home to 77 residents.