The Pocahontas County town of Havelock was founded on November 23, 1881, by the Western Town Lot Company. Named for British general Sir Henry Havelock, postal service was established the following March, and the community officially incorporated in 1892. The fire department used to share space with the pictured City Hall before moving to a standalone facility.
In 1846, Henry Crease was one of several founders to establish the Jefferson County town now known as Batavia. Originally named Creaseville, citizens successfully petitioned for a name change on January 19, 1853. While the reason for the new moniker isn’t known, it could be from the Illinois city of Batavia.
Morris Monson constructed this brick building in 1916 for the sale of new cars to residents in and around the Webster County town of Harcourt. When his business was shuttered, it was converted to an auto repair shop, operated under monikers including Miller’s Garage and Ted’s Garage. In the late 1970s, the building was converted into Harcourt’s town hall and fire department.
At one time, the now-tiny Union County town of Thayer was home to four churches: an Evangelical Church, Catholic Church, Christian Church and Methodist Church. Like many small towns in the state, Thayer saw residents, businesses, schools – and churches – close their doors. By the 1970s, only the Methodist Church remained.
The church building was moved to Thayer from a nearby settlement named West Union in 1900. A team of mules and horses hauled the building to its present location. A basement was later added, and the church served the community until 1995. By that time, membership numbered less than 20 and the church was discontinued. The building was given to the city and now serves as the Town Hall and Community Center for the 59 residents.
A chemical fire engine marked the first piece of fire fighting equipment ordered for the Crawford County town of Ricketts. At the same time, fire alarm boxes were purchased, and one was given to each member of the fire department. The first engine house was constructed in 1905, with a tower and fire bell added in May 1908. Water mains were laid in 1908, and the first Ricketts community fire truck was purchased in 1930. The present Fire Station and City Hall building was constructed in 1971.