At one time, the now-tiny Union County town of Thayer was home to four churches: an Evangelical Church, Catholic Church, Christian Church and Methodist Church. Like many small towns in the state, Thayer saw residents, businesses, schools – and churches – close their doors. By the 1970s, only the Methodist Church remained.
The church building was moved to Thayer from a nearby settlement named West Union in 1900. A team of mules and horses hauled the building to its present location. A basement was later added, and the church served the community until 1995. By that time, membership numbered less than 20 and the church was discontinued. The building was given to the city and now serves as the Town Hall and Community Center for the 59 residents.