The history of the United Methodist Church in the Webster County town of Harcourt can be traced to the 1890s, when a group of members of the Swedish Methodist Church in Dayton tired of the trip between the two cities. C.A. Seaborg, the pastor of the Dayton Church, urged the group to investigate the possibility of finding a building in Harcourt. The group raised $730 to purchase a four-year-old church building in the community in June 1900; it had 25 charter members.
In 1950, funds had been accumulated to allow major enlargements and improvements to the building. The cornerstone of the current facility was laid December 10, 1950, with construction completed the following year. New stained glass windows were installed in the 1960s, while extensive interior renovations were made the following decade. The church has shared a pastor with the United Methodist Church in nearby Dayton since 1969.
A community library was established in the Webster County of Harcourt on July 1, 1950 by the local American Legion Auxiliary. After three years, the library became tax-supported with money appropriated for operations from both the town of Harcourt and the Lost Grove township. The library moved to its present building in the late 1970s; it’s open four days each week.
Morris Monson constructed this brick building in 1916 for the sale of new cars to residents in and around the Webster County town of Harcourt. When his business was shuttered, it was converted to an auto repair shop, operated under monikers including Miller’s Garage and Ted’s Garage. In the late 1970s, the building was converted into Harcourt’s town hall and fire department.
The First United Methodist Church in the Webster County seat of Fort Dodge can trace its roots to 1851 when a traveling preacher came to the community. The church was officially organized in 1855, with a small white frame building constructed for services within three years. A new building was constructed in 1873 before the current brick structure was built in 1915. Extensive renovations were made to the historic facility in the early 2000s, including the installation of new heating and cooling equipment along with a re-carpeted and redecorated sanctuary.
The history of the public library in the Webster County town of Dayton can be traced to 1900, when a few women each purchased books for exchange. Books were housed in the back of the local bank with access for local children. In 1966, a new building was constructed to house the post office, city council chambers, and the public library. In 1993 the council chambers were relocated allowing the library to expand with an additional 420 square feet. The library is open four days each week.