Established in 1880, the town of Redding was one of several in the state established at a stop along branches of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad. Postal service to Redding was established twenty years prior, though the location was originally established two miles to the north. In 2000, the Ringgold County town’s official population dipped to 78, the lowest in 120 years and a significantly drop from the community’s peak population of 310 in 1900.
The Redding Post Office sits on the south side of the nearly-abandoned square and is open four hours daily. Since this photo was taken, the building’s exterior has been refurbished with new metal siding.