The post office in the Taylor county seat of Bedford was originally established as Grove on June 30, 1855, with Adam Vinnedge named postmaster. The name Bedford was officially adoopted on June 24, 1856. Rural delivery service was established in 1901, while city delivery began in 1927. Service began in the current post office building on Labor Day 1964. In March 1965, the six-month-old facility was broken into and robbed of over $11,000 in stamps and cash. The thieves were later caught in Kansas City.