Residents in the Delaware County town of Ryan gathered Saturday, February 4, 1961, to tour the new community’s new post office building. The Cedar Rapids Gazette‘s preview of the open house highlighted the two lobbies in the building – one for service, the other for lock boxes. The 1,080-square-feet brick and masonry building featured all new equipment and a rear loading dock. Postal service was first established in Ryan in April 1884.
The United Methodist Church in the Delaware County town of Colesburg can trace its history to 1942, when services were held by Rev. Barney White and Rev. Simeon Clark in a nearby schoolhouse. A permanent church was constructed in the community in 1849 and served members until October 30, 1891, when the present building was dedicated.
A significant remodeling project was completed in 1983. During the renovations, which took place between August and December, services were held in the local Catholic Church.
Residents in the Delaware County town of Earlville received a surprise letter in their mailboxes in April 2011, noting that the post office would be closing in a matter of days. The letter cited the inability of the U.S. Postal Service to reach a lease agreement with the building owner. Despite reaching out to Iowa representatives and postal service officials in attempt to find a resolution, the town’s 820 residents saw the facility close its doors on April 28, 2011, after over 150 years of continuous service.
The Delaware County town of Dundee saw its first fire station constructed in 1930. The small brick building featured a single-stall garage, a small amount of space for equipment, and a jail cell. In the late 1980s, Dundee firemen began a campaign to solicit funds for a new fire station and community center building. Construction began in June 1987, with firemen doing most of the construction work to minimize costs. The building continues to serve the town today.
In 1878, Holbert Horse Importing Company was established in the Delaware County town of Greeley and quickly garnered an international reputation for horse selling and breeding. The last man to work for the company was R.M. “Bob” Brady, whose sons are honored on the community’s welcome sign. Walt and Don became famous as horse handlers and drivers for the Budweiser Clydesdale Hitch. In addition to the sign, the Brady brothers are honored with a life-size replica of a Clydesdale horse.