The Harrison County town of Modale has had a public library since 1928, due to the efforts of the local Federated Married Teachers’ Club. The first library was located within the city hall, in the second floor of a downtown building. Original books were donated and community plays, bake sales, box suppers, and card parties served as fundraisers to help generate funds to grow the collection.
The library began receiving city funds in the 1940s; in 1978, an open house was held at the local American Legion hall to celebrate the library’s 50th anniversary. In March 1980, the Modale Public Library moved to its current location, a new building constructed to serve both the library and the fire department. The new space offered three times the space of the prior location.