The first mail route was established in the Harrison County town of Pisgah in 1863, bringing mail on a weekly basis from nearby Magnolia. The first post office was established April 23, 1872, with the township’s first settler, Elijah Cobb, serving as the first postmaster. Originally known as Mount Pisgah, Cobb operated the community’s first office from a room in his farm home. After a number of postmasters and home locations, the office moved inside a general store in May 1893. The current Pisgah Post Office building was built in 1988.
The first church services in the Harrison County town of Little Sioux were held in the log cabin school by a group of Methodists. In 1972, the members decided to build a new church and pledged funds for the $1,000 facility, which was constructed on a lot donated by James Scofield. In 1928, the church was raised to allow the addition of a basement. Numerous improvements have been made since, including the installation of stained glass memorial windows, a walnut altar, updated carpeting, and an organ. The pastor also serves churches in nearby Pisgah and Mondamin.
In September 1920, a group of members of the Church of Christ decided to build a worship center in the Harrison County town of Little Sioux. Half of the old school house lot was purchased, and the church was dedicated in 1924. Since the construction, the 90-year-old building has seen many improvements including the installation of stained glass windows and an organ, donated by church members.
Postal service was established in the Harrison County town of Dunlap in August 1867. The current post office building was constructed in 1962, with dedication ceremonies held Saturday, September 29. Following the dedication service, an open house and tour of the post office was held.
The Harrison County town of Modale has had a public library since 1928, due to the efforts of the local Federated Married Teachers’ Club. The first library was located within the city hall, in the second floor of a downtown building. Original books were donated and community plays, bake sales, box suppers, and card parties served as fundraisers to help generate funds to grow the collection.
The library began receiving city funds in the 1940s; in 1978, an open house was held at the local American Legion hall to celebrate the library’s 50th anniversary. In March 1980, the Modale Public Library moved to its current location, a new building constructed to serve both the library and the fire department. The new space offered three times the space of the prior location.