Postal service was established in the Tama County town of Elberon in January 1882, with Nathaniel L. Brown appointed the city’s first postmaster. He operated the office from his general store, with mail original delivered from Belle Plaine twice weekly. On April 10, 1882, mail began being delivered via the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Rail stop in Elberon. The post office served its longest tenure in an old bank building, from 1937 to 1981. The current post office facility opened January 17, 1985.