The earliest settlers to the Page County village now known as Shambaugh faced a 120-mile round trip tor each the nearest post office in Savannah, Missouri. The trip took two to three days each way, due to the absence of paved roads and bridges. Settlers took turns going in for the mail and brought provisions in large quantity. The trip was made shorter when an office was established 35 miles away in Marysville, Missouri, and again in April 1870, when a location was established five miles south of town by the name of Nodaway Mills Post Office.
The Nodaway Mills location was moved to the north and renamed as the Shambaugh Post Office on January 23, 1880. The post office has been located in its current building since 1957.