Methodists have been in the Story County town of Maxwell since the town was founded in the early 1880s. Shortly after railroad track was laid through the community, services were held in a schoolhouse before a permanent church facility was constructed in September 1882. The church served members for thirty years until construction began on the present building. A cornerstone was laid on September 17, 1912, with a number of items including a photo of the current church, a copy of the discipline, a local newspaper and a list of building committee and board members.
The church building will celebrate 100 years on February 23, 2013. There are around 150 members.