On February 27, 1868, Mr. Isaac M. Christy received a letter informing him that a proposed post office named Lucas had been approved. The office officially opened a week later with Christy appointed the first postmaster. The current facility was constructed in 1974 with the design and construction representing the first area office built to the latest postal service guidelines. The steel building featured a concrete driver for loading and unloading mail. The post office is open six days each week.