Iowa Backroads
Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | RSS

Photos by County | Grundy County, Iowa

Post Office 50642 (Holland, Iowa)

Post Office 56042 (Holland, Iowa)

The first post office was established in the Grundy County town of Holland on August 14, 1877, with John A. Riggs named the first postmaster. In 1947, the post office moved into a 700-square-foot frame building reinforced by concrete blocks. The location marked the first time the Holland Post Office was housed within a building especially built for the handling of mail.

The post office outgrew the building and made a final move in December 1974, when it relocated to its current facility, a refurbished hatchery.

Published April 26, 2013 | Post Offices | | Map Jump to the top of this page

Post Office 50669 (Reinbeck, Iowa)

Post Office 50669 (Reinbeck, Iowa)

The first post office in the Grundy County town of Reinbeck was established on May 8, 1872 with August Lusch appointed postmaster. After a number of locations, the current, standalone buildling began serving residents in November 1961. Despite being home to over 1,600 residents, budget cuts forced a reduction in hours; the office is only open afternoons, Monday through Friday.

Published July 20, 2012 | Post Offices | | Map Jump to the top of this page

American Legion Post No. 471 (Dike, Iowa)

American Legion Post No. 471 (Dike, Iowa)

On April 20, 1920, the American Legion Post No. 471 was organized in the Grundy County town of Dike with 16 charter members. The present legion building was purchased and renovated in 1929, with funds coming from the County Memorial Fund, a contribution from the town fire department, and a bond issue. In 1974, the building was remodeled and expanded; ten years later, the facility was turned over to the city and it is now known as the Dike Memorial Center.

Published July 4, 2012 | American Legion Posts | | Map Jump to the top of this page

American Legion Post No. 242 (Reinbeck, Iowa)

American Legion Post No. 242 (Reinbeck, Iowa)

Veterans in the Grundy County town of Reinbeck organized American Legion Post No. 242 on September 29, 1919, in the local Masonic Hall. Forty-two charter members established the group, which quickly became active in the community. In 1924, the post purchased flags to line the town’s Main Street. In 1929, the Legion contributed $4,000 for construction of an athletic field. In 1944, a fundraising drive began to construct a memorial building. After ten years, present Veteran’s Memorial Building was constructed and dedicated in 1954.

Published April 9, 2012 | American Legion Posts | | Map Jump to the top of this page

Welcome Sign (Beaman, Iowa)

Welcome Sign (Beaman, Iowa)

Located in the southeastern corner of Grundy County, Iowa, the community of Beaman is home to 210 residents. As noted on the welcome sign, visitors aren’t “dreamin’” when they travel through the quaint town of Beaman, which features a number of businesses and ┬ácommunity facilities, including a library, heritage center, and large memorial hall. Local students attend elementary and high school in nearby Conrad and middle school in Union. Beaman is part of the BCLUW School District along with the communities of Conrad, Liscomb, Union and Whitten.

Published October 26, 2010 | Town Signs | | Map Jump to the top of this page

You are currently viewing Iowa Backroads featured photos from Grundy County.
Photos by County


Photos by Month


Search Photos
Search Iowa Backroads