Veterans in the Grundy County town of Reinbeck organized American Legion Post No. 242 on September 29, 1919, in the local Masonic Hall. Forty-two charter members established the group, which quickly became active in the community. In 1924, the post purchased flags to line the town’s Main Street. In 1929, the Legion contributed $4,000 for construction of an athletic field. In 1944, a fundraising drive began to construct a memorial building. After ten years, present Veteran’s Memorial Building was constructed and dedicated in 1954.