The Women’s Civil League organized the first library in the Floyd County community of Rockford in 1917, with 360 books catalogued and available for borrowing the first year. In 1920, the Rockford Free Public Library Association was formed, then moved to a larger space in the Township Hall in 1923. In 1965, the library board and the Rockford Lions Club began a fundraising drive for a new building. A $10,000 contribution from the Kinney-Lindstrom Foundation of Mason City, federal grant funds, and generous resident donations combined for enough money to begin construction in April 1967. The current location opened its doors on March 11, 1968.