On January 8, 1875, August Nienstedt was appointed the first postmaster for the Floyd County town of Rudd. Mail was originally delivered to Rudd by stagecoach, but by the late 1800s, mail arrived by railroad. That process lasted until 1960, when the train which carried mail to and from Rudd was discontinued. The current post office was constructed and dedicated in 1990.
The Mission Committee of the Iowa District of American Lutheran Churches decided to establish a congregation in the Floyd County community of Marble Rock in December 1944 under the leadership of Rev. I.J. Deines from nearby Greene. The first services were held in the Christian Church building in February 1945, with 80 people present for the afternoon service. Within two years, members began raising money to purchase the building; the $1,300 sale was made official on October 12, 1947.
The church was formally dedicated on November 30, 1947; a basement was added in 1955.
The Women’s Civil League organized the first library in the Floyd County community of Rockford in 1917, with 360 books catalogued and available for borrowing the first year. In 1920, the Rockford Free Public Library Association was formed, then moved to a larger space in the Township Hall in 1923. In 1965, the library board and the Rockford Lions Club began a fundraising drive for a new building. A $10,000 contribution from the Kinney-Lindstrom Foundation of Mason City, federal grant funds, and generous resident donations combined for enough money to begin construction in April 1967. The current location opened its doors on March 11, 1968.
In 1956, the Culture Club in the Floyd County town of Rudd formed a committee to establish a public library. Space in a vacant barbershop was quickly secured, and a library was opened with donated books and volunteer librarians. The library relocated in 1959 before moving to its present facility in 1967. Half of the funds for the $16,000 brick building were raised by the community; the remaining money was donated by the Mason City-based Kinney Lindstrom Foundation.
In March 1944, resident Lenora Heft suggested the idea of starting a “Book Exchange” in the Floyd County town of Marble Rock. A committee was formed, and a the first incarnation of a Marble Rock Public Library was operated from a private residence. In 1946, the committee received permission from the town council to locate the library in the Marble Rock City Hall. The council provided bookshelves for the new library facility, which was operated entirely by volunteers.
As the collection grew, more space was needed and the library relocated to a new standalone building in 1956. It relocated again to a former grocery store building on Main Street in 1966, and in 2005, the Marble Rock Public Library debuted in its current facility.