The first library in the Tama County town of Garwin opened its doors on August 29, 1936, with teas and wafers served throughout the afternoon to celebrate the occasion. Sharing space with a local dentist office, the library’s collection grew to 1,600 books within seven months with as many as 65 books checked out each day. The library was run exclusively by volunteers for over two decades, until a part-time librarian was hired in 1958. The library moved to its present location in March 1960. It continues to serve the community, open five days each week.