In October 1896, fire destroyed 23 buildings in the Adams County seat of Corning, including the home of the newly-formed library and its 500-book collection. Within a few months, $200 was raised, additional books were donated, and a new library was opened in a room over the Z.T. Widner store. The store was the first of three library locations before a permanent, $2,500 building was constructed in 1900.
Later that year, a municipal tax was approved, brining $639 annually to support the library. After 30 years in the location, Mrs. F.C. Okey gave $10,000 to the library board for expansion, and the pictured building was constructed shortly after. A $200,000 expansion was constructed to the west of the original library in 1981. The library purchased its first computer, an Apple IIe, in November 1983.