This modest wooden sign welcomes visitors to the Fremont County town of Thurman, home to 229 residents according to the most recent census. Thurman was founded as Plum Hollow in 1856 by Abraham Fletcher, but later renamed in honor of politician Allen Granberry Thurman. It was officially incorporated in February 1879.
As many as 90 percent of buildings in Thurman were damaged or destroyed by an EF-2 tornado on April 15, 2012. Read more in the Omaha World-Herald.