The Indianola Public Library history can be traced to 1882, when a local Enterprise Club was formed to raise funds for a new town library. Voters approved giving tax dollars to the library organization in an 1884 election, and the Indianola Public Library officially opened June 27, 1884, in the second story of a hardware store on the town square. The pictured library building was dedicated in 1904, constructed from a $10,000 grant provided by the Carnegie Foundation. The building served the community until 1984, when $900,000 was raised by the community and a new library building was constructed. The Carnegie-funded building now serves as the offices for the Des Moines Metro Opera.