A new post office opened in the Sioux County seat of Orange City on October 31, 1968. The building featured the latest equipment for heating and air conditioning, florescent lighting, a “modern” counter, and a box lobby that was open daily for 15 hours. The post office was officially dedicated on January 11, 1970, with a ceremony that featured a performance from the Maurice-Orange City Community School band, presentation of the Colors by local American Legion Post 329 and remarks from Stan Greigg, a U.S. Postal Service official based in Washington, D.C. Following the dedication program, a light lunch was served and a formal ribbon-cutting took place.
Julie Van Holland was the first customer to the new Post Office facility in the Sioux County community of Rock Valley, which opened its doors to the public at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, June 1, 1970. Construction on the $61,000 facility was finished a few days prior, nearly a year and a half after the construction contract was signed and over four years after the U.S. Postal Service formally announced Rock Valley would receive a new post office facility. The building was formally dedicated July 16, 1970.
A large crowd gathered outside the new Hawarden Post Office building for its official dedication on Saturday, February 22, 1941, celebrating the facility as a “milestone in the city’s progress.” The event started with a flag raising ceremony presented by the American Legion followed by the high school band’s performance of “The Star Spangled Banner.” Other musical numbers were played, and the Hawarden Post Office employees were each introduced, along with the city mayor, Chamber of Commerce president, and the guest speaker, John Sparks, a post office inspector from Sioux City.
Sparks spoke on the topic, “The History of the World’s Postal Service,” tracing the early development of postal services in other nations and then the United States. He outlined the post office history in Hawarden, where a location was first established December 13, 1882, and the ceremony closed with a prayer from the reverend at the local Baptist Church. The Hawarden Independent noted one “casualty” at the end of the day: “A small boy attempted to chin himself to the towel bar in the bathroom of the post office, pulled loose the bar and fell. The lad was not hurt.”
Postal service was first established in the Sioux County community of Maurice on August 25, 1882, when a post office was established in the home of resident Alanson Sherman. After a number of location changes, the Maurice Post Office moved to its present building in July 1943. The brick structure was remodeled in the late 1970s when new exterior paneling was installed and the large plate glass windows were replaced with smaller, energy-saving window panes. Maurice is home to 254 residents.
By 1902, the Sioux County supervisors appointed Alton native Wilfred Beach as the architect for the construction of a new courthouse. A construction contract was signed later that year, but work quickly halted when the Sioux City-based construction company went bankrupt. A new team was appointed to oversee the project, and the new courthouse building was successfully completed in October 1904. Considered a fine example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture in the state, the three-story, red sandstone building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.