With under 700 residents in 1900, Alden was the smallest community in the United States to be granted a Carnegie library. The $9,000 library opened in 1914 and has served the community since. In 1998, a capital campaign began to add 3,000 square feet to the library including a new children’s learning and activity center. By June 2000, the half-million dollar renovation was complete, and the updated library was dedicated. As evidenced by the featured photo, the addition maintained the historical style of the 85-year-old building.