Postal service was established in the unincorporated Scott County town of Pleasant Valley on February 25, 1837, nearly a decade before Iowa was officially a state. The first postmaster operated the office from his a log cabin which also served as a home and general store. The office is now located within the former Trinity Lutheran Church, which was constructed in 1906. The church disbanded in 1960, and the post office moved in four years later. It’s the only post office in the state housed in a former church.