Postal service was first established in the Poweshiek County town of Guernsey in 1885, with local businessman Leonard B. Lowrey serving as the first postmaster. A rural route from Guernsey was established in 1901, with the first rural carrier serving about 110 families by horse and buggy. On June 30, 1957, hours and services were reduced as the Guernsey Post Office was converted to a branch location managed by the post office in nearby Montezuma. It moved to its final location, a private residence-turned-town hall, in 1974. The post office was officially shuttered on June 17, 2011; the 25 resident box holders installed mailboxes in front of their home and now receive rural delivery.