This beautiful public library building sits in the town square of Estherville, the county seat of Emmet County in northern Iowa. The library dates to 1903, after Estherville became Iowa’s twelfth community to receive a Carnegie library grant. The entrance was shifted when the library was significantly expanded in 1995; the renovated library was rededicated in November of that year. A nice library exterior photo gallery can be found on the official library website.
With under 700 residents in 1900, Alden was the smallest community in the United States to be granted a Carnegie library. The $9,000 library opened in 1914 and has served the community since. In 1998, a capital campaign began to add 3,000 square feet to the library including a new children’s learning and activity center. By June 2000, the half-million dollar renovation was complete, and the updated library was dedicated. As evidenced by the featured photo, the addition maintained the historical style of the 85-year-old building.
Retired Iowa farmers Richard and Donna Hamann surprised the community of Anthon in December 2004 by paying the electric bills for all residents and businesses in the town, due on Christmas day. Located in Woodbury County, the town of 650 people received another gift from the Hamanns the following year: a new memorial library building that was dedicated on October 15, 2005.
The Public Library in Glenwood is one of 50 active Carnegie Libraries in Iowa. The library was built at a cost of $7,500 and opened its doors to the public in 1907. The library underwent significant renovations in the 1980s, including the addition of an elevator on the south side of the building.
The public library in Milton, Iowa, has an operating income around $2,200 in 2008 to rank as the smallest library in the state based on financial data. The library is located on North Main Street near the city park and former train depot. Visitors to Milton will want to check out the Milton Creamery.