The Taylor County community of Sharpsburg was founded in 1884, when the Humeston & Shenandoah Railroad laid track through the area. Track was completed the following year, and the city grew with the addition of a stockyard, depot and post office by January 1886. Population peaked at 188 in 1920, and has slowly dwindled since. Train service was discontinued in 1945. The school consolidated with Lenox in 1959, with final classes held in 1968. The part-time post office is in danger of closing. Sharpsburg is currently home to 89 residents.