The 600-seat brick Wieting Theatre in Toledo opened its doors September 12, 1912, with a capacity crowd for the Sheehan English Opera Company’s presentation of “Il Travatore.” As with many theatres across the country, focus shifted to movies and by the late 1950s, with the advent of television, the Wieting Theatre cut back to a part-time schedule. By 1958, the doors had temporarily closed.
Two years later, a group a concerned Toledo residents organized the Toledo Community Theatre Guild and took over operations of the historic facility. A reopening ceremony was held in September 1960, and in the spring of 1961, the first live production was presented by the Cornell College Players.
The Wieting Theatre is currently undergoing a substantial renovation project; a grand reopening is planned for January 2012, with new restrooms, new seats, new electrical systems, new heating and cooling, and a state-of-the-art digital sound and digital 3D projection systems.