The first courthouse in the Webster County was constructed in the hamlet of Homer, at the time home to around 600 residents. In the mid 1850s a vote was held which reassigned the county seat title to Fort Dodge. Though accusations of illegal voting and ballot-box stuffing were widespread, the vote held and construction of a new courthouse facility began in Fort Dodge in 1859. The current Courthouse was dedicated in September 1902. In 2001, a two-decade long construction project was completed which included refurbishing of the limestone exterior, indoor restoration and accessibility updates.