In 1891, Wapello County voters approved $100,000 in bonds to construct a new courthouse in Ottumwa, the fourth since the county was established. The cornerstone of the rough-cut standstone building was laid in September 1892 and the new building was dedicated on May 1894. The courthouse originally featured a large clock tower, but it was removed in 1950 due to structural safety concerns. The Wapello County Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. Check out the City of Ottumwa website for more details on the courthouse history and architectural characteristics.