The decision was made to construct a new United Methodist Church in the Keokuk county seat of Sigourney in the fall of 1899. Construction plans were made, and the cornerstone was laid during a ceremony held July 10, 1900 at 2:00 p.m. The cornerstone featured a number of items including a Bible, hymnal, current copies of Sigourney’s three local newspapers, and a listing of names of church leaders and members of the building committee. Construction was completed and the new church was dedicated on February 3, 1901. A basement was added in 1921, while a Sunday school addition was added in 1974.