The United Methodist Church in the Wapello County community of Kirkville can trace its history to 1844, when a group was organized by Rev. T.M. Kirkpatrick, based in nearby Eddyville. After meetings in homes and a local schoolhouse, a new church building was constructed and dedicated in 1853. The present church was constructed around the turn of the century; in 1917, a basement was added and the sanctuary was reconfigured.