The United Methodist Church in the Marion County town of Hamilton was founded as a Methodist Episcopal Church in 1868. Services at the church ceased in the mid-1960s, but a faithful few continued to meet in the building for Sunday School, monthly hymn sings, and maintain the aging building. The commitment did not go unnoticed; in 1987, the church reopened with a full-fledged congregation in 1987 following a phone survey by the Iowa United Methodist Church conference.
The church continues to operate, with 23 members and an average Sunday attendance of 12. The Sunday School group meets at 9 a.m. with services following an hour later. The church continues to operate in the original building, constructed nearly 150 years ago. It remains a simple one-room structure today with recent improvements including the addition of an indoor restroom and central air conditioning.