The United Methodist Church in the Union County town of Arispe can trace its history to the 1870s, when early services were held in a rural schoolhouse. In November 1897, a committee met at the home of Arispe resident G.W. DeLay to consider raising funds to construct a permanent church facility. Funds were raised quickly, and the $1,200 church was dedicated in October 1898. On April 1, 1915 the church was destroyed by fire, and services were temporarily held in the school building.
Plans for a new church were drawn up, and Lamoni-based Charles F. Church was hired as the architect. After much work by volunteer labor, the new church was finished just 8 months and 19 days after the first building was destroyed. In 1976, new siding and doors were installed, and a special service was held to commemorate the bi-centennial of the United States. Weekly services continue to be held in the church today; it shares a pastor with United Methodist churches in Afton and Lorimor.