Union Chapel (Near Ira, Iowa)

On February 22, 1877, a community meeting was held at the home of William Trammel to discuss the construction of a church on the site of Trammel Cemetery, which was established twenty years earlier. Trammel agreed to donate a plot of land to the east of the cemetery and by June 1877, plans were completed for construction of a $1,600 chapel building. The church was dedicated in December 1877 as the Lynn Grove Chapel, but was renamed Union Chapel the following year. Regular worship services were held until 1898; annual Memorial Day services continued through 1971.