Construction began on the new Montgomery County Courthouse in Red Oak in 1890, and the new structure was officially dedicated July 4 the following year. Ten thousand or more visitors came to see the new brick and sandstone structure, which had a 91-foot by 72-foot footprint and stood over 60 feet high. At over 100 feet tall, the clock tower may be the most distinguishing feature of the Romanesque courthouse, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
The Stanton Public Library was established in 1941 and is currently located in the old City Hall building at the south end of the community’s central business district. Open six days a week, the library collection features 7,000 books, along with a number of videos, DVDs, and audiobooks. A local group called Stanton Friends is leading an effort to build a large multi-purpose facility which will house the library in a space four times the size of the current location. Nearly two-thirds of the project’s $2.8 million price tag has been raised; an opening date has not been set.