A group of Bohemian immigrants in the growing town of Protivin finalized plans for an independent savings bank in May 1910. Articles of incorporation were adopted and necessary formalities were taken to launch the new bank business. The bank, which had initial capital of $15,000, began operating within a local hardware store October that year, while construction started on a permanent location.
The Bohemian Savings Bank dedicated its new building with a grand opening December 1, 1910. The building was constructed of concrete block to simulate a stone appearance while the interior was finished with oak and a metal-embossed ceiling. The bank survived the depression, and continued to operate independently until 1986, when it was purchased by the Decorah State Bank.
The bank office was converted to a branch office and remained in use until operations were relocated to a modern, larger building in May 1989.
The Cresco Theatre dates to 1914, when it was originally opened under the Cresco Opera House moniker. The grand facility was originally constructed to accommodate live shows from traveling groups and was used for such performances through the late 1920s. While there are occasional live performances from the local community theatre group, the theatre is mostly used for movies, with first-run shows playing nightly at 7:30 p.m. For current movie offerings, call (563) 547-4292.
A hand-painted raccoon adorns the front window of this small, brick Post Office in downtown Lime Springs in Howard County, Iowa. Located on the well-maintained Main Street, the Post Office serves the community’s 495 residents. Lime Springs is known in Northeast Iowa for its annual Sweet Corn Festival, held the third Saturday in August, along with the nearby Lidtke Mill, one of the few remaining examples of a working flour mill in the state. The mill is open to visitors between Memorial Day and Labor Day.