From its humble beginnings in the small town of Dallas Center in 1881, Brenton Bank grew to be the largest Iowa-based bank chain in the state. By the end of the twentieth century, Brenton Bank operated offices across the state from its original base in Dallas Center to Des Moines to Davenport. Brenton’s large Iowa footprint made it a takeover target, and in 2000, Wells Fargo entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the bank’s 43 offices.
The pictured Woodward office operated as Wells Fargo until May 2010, when three former Brenton Bank locations in Dallas County were closed. Signage was remove, revealing the original Brenton Bank signing in place when the office was constructed.