Postal service arrived at the Allamakee County town of New Albin in August 1872. Early postal history is detailed in The First 100 Years of New Albin book, noting mail was hauled to the community by train, with three daily deliveries. The post office occupied a number of buildings and storefronts before moving to its current location in 1967.
The three-room former town hall building in the Allamakee County town of New Albin was constructed June 24, 1895. Rock and masonry work for the building was completed by Frank Brennan at a cost of $87.50, while the bulk of the structure was built by C.G. Erickson for $488.50. The first paint job was completed by Gene Bellows at a cost of $16.00. The fire bell was added to the December 2, 1901. A fundraising drive was held in the mid-1990s to preserve the historic hall, which has not been actively used for city functions since 1968.
Library services began in the Allamakee County town of Lansing in 1912, when the Lansing Library Association was organized. The group quickly found space on Main Street and allowed local residents to check out books from the library at a cost of $1 per year. Two local women’s groups managed the organization until 1935, when the library was given to the city and the Lansing Public Library was officially established.
The Meehan Memorial Lansing Public Library was dedicated in August 2005. Funds for the building were provided by the namesake, the Meehan family, from nearby Harpers Ferry.
Waterville Lutheran Church held its final worship service September 12, 2010, after 133 years of active service in the Allamakee County town. The decision to construct the present and final church building was made in 1904, with the fundraising effort commencing immediately after. The cornerstone for the church was laid on November 1906, and the building was dedicated eleven months later.
An 1867 Supreme Court ruling designated Waukon as the seat of Allamakee County, officially ending a fifteen year county seat controversy. In 1851, voters selected now-deserted Columbus as the county seat; two years later, voters changed course and designated Waukon as the seat, and confirmed this decision in a 1859 vote. While a new courthouse was constructed in Waukon in 1861, residents voted to assign county seat status to Lansing the following year. In 1864, the county sheriff and his Waukon-based posse attempted to steal the county records, but the effort was intercepted and the records were returned.
Following the Supreme Court decision, the 1861 building served as the county courthouse until 1940, when a new, larger facility was constructed. The historic building now serves as the Allamakee County Historical Museum, which has a number of local artifacts. The original second-floor courtroom is intact and open to the public during museum hours.