The Federated Woman’s Club in the Fremont County town of Tabor adopted a project in January 1954 to open a public library for the community. After receiving permission to house the library on the first floor of the Town Hall building, the group collected money and books from local residents, churches, and organizations. A carpenter donated services to raise shelves, and the library opened in July 1956.
In 1975, the city council established regular support for the library, while additional funds were provided by Fremont and Mills County. By the 1980s, the library had outgrown its space and began looking at new locations. An anonymous donation made it possible to move to a home, which had most recently been used as The Brick Inn restaurant. A contractor was engaged, and the building was remodeled for use as the Tabor Public Library. The new location officially opened in June 1987.