Plans for a library in the Hardin County town of Steamboat Rock were made in 1958 when members of the community progress club collected books and funds. The first library opened the following year within a room in the town hall, where it remained until for three years. At that time, the old telephone company building was donated for use as a library, with an open house held on June 25, 1962.
Upgrades were made to the interior in 1968, while in 1974, the front of the building was renovated with the addition of brick facing and a front porch for a cost of $5,000. The building continues to serve as the library today; it’s open six days each week.