In March 1944, resident Lenora Heft suggested the idea of starting a “Book Exchange” in the Floyd County town of Marble Rock. A committee was formed, and a the first incarnation of a Marble Rock Public Library was operated from a private residence. In 1946, the committee received permission from the town council to locate the library in the Marble Rock City Hall. The council provided bookshelves for the new library facility, which was operated entirely by volunteers.
As the collection grew, more space was needed and the library relocated to a new standalone building in 1956. It relocated again to a former grocery store building on Main Street in 1966, and in 2005, the Marble Rock Public Library debuted in its current facility.