In the spring of 1923, a traveling library was brought to Lu Verne by members of the Progressive Club, a group of local ladies who met regularly to discuss topics including history, music, novels and popular culture. Traveling library stations were common in Iowa at that time, provided by the State of Iowa Library Commission for communities without permanent library buildings. Lu Verne’s traveling library station was located in the balcony of a local general store.
In 1939, after several meetings between representatives of the Progressive Club and the City Council, the Lu Verne Community Library was officially established in 1939. It was housed in the City Hall for nearly 30 years, until the present library building opened in 1968.