The first meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Havelock Public Library was held in October 1933. Officers were elected, a librarian was appointed, and over the following weeks, library hours were established and a Traveling Library was utilized to help provide the initial selection of books. Funds were provided from the Works Project Administration to support the librarian salary, allowing the Havelock Public Library to be open five days weekly through the rest of the decade.
Beginning in 1935, the library found permanent space in an old city hall building. As the collection grew and more space was needed, the city council agreed to construct a new library building on Main Street. The facility was completed in November 1976, and the local American Legion organization facilitated the move of books and shelving. A formal dedication and open house were held in June 1977.