The history of the public library in the Webster County town of Dayton can be traced to 1900, when a few women each purchased books for exchange. Books were housed in the back of the local bank with access for local children. In 1966, a new building was constructed to house the post office, city council chambers, and the public library. In 1993 the council chambers were relocated allowing the library to expand with an additional 420 square feet. The library is open four days each week.