The Cherokee Public Library was organized by a group of twelve local women in 1886 and officially operated out of a permanent space in 1898. By January 1903, Cherokee had received confirmation of a $10,000 grant awarded by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The grant was increased by $2,000 the following year, and the new building was formally dedicated and opened in April 1905. A significant expansion project added two floors to the rear of the building in October 1998. The library is open six days a week to serve residents in Cherokee and the surrounding area.