The first post office was established in the Franklin County community of Coulter on April 30, 1902, with George F. Propst named postmaster. The post office operated inside the general store Propst co-owned for a year, until it was relocated to a spot within the new hardware store constructed the following year. In 1939, it moved to the old hotel building before moving to its current location ten years later. Around 3:00 a.m. on February 8, 1984, the postal box area was damaged and some mail was destroyed. Damage was repaired and the office reopened a short time later.