Post Office 50219 (Pella, Iowa)

Over 1,000 residents in the Marion County town of Pella toured the post office on its opening day, April 26, 1937. The Pella Chronicle¬†wrote the $55,000 post office “fills a long-felt need and it will now be possible to give even better service than before.” The article highlights the spacious lobby, efficient workspace, and damp-proof basement in addition to noting the postmaster’s “luxurious private office which was overflowing with flowers sent by well-wishers.”

Key features on the second level include the “Swing” room where employees may rest during their off-hours and the “peeping gallery,” a space used by postal inspectors for observing employees on the main floor without being seen themselves. Postal service was first established in Pella in 1845 as Lake Prairie.